Saturday, January 31, 2009

From Core Values to Core Virtues

Welcome.

I have been working with and researching the idea of core values for almost 1o years now. I have been thinking and thinking about how personal values and in particular personal Core Values are key to the success of a person. The more a person knows about their core values and the more they live their core values, the more their life is in congruence. This congruence leads to a sense of consistency and peacefulness and so on. Bottom line, the more a person develops their sense of self through deep understanding of their own personal Core Values, the better.

About a month ago whilst having one of my odd deep thought sessions it occurred to me that it was not Core Values that I was trying to get to. It was personal virtues.

So I began researching different faiths, philosophies, and cultures in search of stated virtues. All totaled, I brought together over 20 lists of virtues. I then sought out the key consistent terms, themes, and ideas throughout the lists and come up with The 25Virtues.

Here they Are:
Compassion
Courage
Dignity
Faith
Frugality
Generosity
Honesty
Hope
Humility
Integrity
Joy
Justice
Kindness
Love
Loyalty
Mercy
Moderation
Patience
Peace
Perseverance
Prudence
Respect
Restraint
Temperance
Wisdom

Let me know what you think!
Leo

2 comments:

  1. I love this. A virtue does seem different than a core value. Something about it is deeper...like the foundation of a set of core values. What's popping up for me immediately is a book title, "Virtual Congruence". It hasn't been written yet...because you just started it. I look forward to reading it, or editing it, or helping you write it!! I think you're on to something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually...I think you have a better title for this book already, "The 25 Virtues"

    ReplyDelete