Sunday, March 28, 2010

Faith

If you think you can win, you can win. Faith is necessary to victory.
William Hazlitt

Even though I have defined faith as being more than the faith linked to religion, I thought surely that a day where I was to focus upon faith would lead me down a spiritual path. A caveat -- there is absolutely nothing incorrect or inferior about basing faith solely around religious belief...I do not seek to insult anyone. What I found though was that the faith I needed and the faith I focused upon was of a much more simple breed.

I know that writing about faith could draw some fire. Even re-reading the paragraph I just wrote could be construed as my having a complete lack of understanding of what faith is. In essence, I think that actually is what faith is. Each of us is wired differently when it comes to the finer cognitive qualities of our brains. If we are true to our own unique faith, can anyone else really understand it? There is religion, and I am Taoist, the most non-faith of faiths (you see...even that could be misconstrued as insulting!). But when it comes down to it, does anyone else really see faith or any of these virtues exactly as I do...I think not.

Today I gained faith in a future job opportunity. I renewed faith in a friendship that I had not invested in for far too long. I found faith in the good nature of people I met on elevators. I watched a group of professionals with a difficult problem to solve recognize that the group just needed to keep on keeping on...in essence, have faith in the foundations that had been laid.

Faith is about the extra little ooomph that is needed to get from point A to point B...whatever those points represent. Some use doctrine or gospel, others use duct tape and glue...still others just believe one way or another, that things are just going to work out.

Leo

Next Virtue: Frugality

No comments:

Post a Comment